Part II

* Authors note. You need to read the entire story of Attachments: Arrival to understand this story. That part isn't a separate chapter, rather an story part. That's why you see it starting all over to chapter 1 ^_^. Have fun.

 

Chapter 1

Mejihen held his head in his hands at the control panel. Two days in space and he didn’t know whether to laugh or cry. Laugh at the absurdity of the situation or that he might go insane. Maybe both. Or he could cry because his people and himself, at the moment mostly himself, were doomed.

Bra and Junior had a terrible time accepting what happened and Bra blamed Mejihen for what happened despite the fact that it wasn’t his fault. Junior was crying uncontrollably in his room, shutting both Bra and Mejihen out. Bra had the same look Pan did when she looked at Mejihen. He felt as though his life was threatened every time he saw her. ‘I have such great luck with the female species.’ Mejihen thought sarcastically.

Mejihen was upset the Junior wouldn’t see him. He was the only friend Mejihen seemed to have on that planet. There was no way that Mejihen seemed to reach Junior no matter how much he tried. Bra passed by Mejihen while he was at Junior’s door the other day. It seemed that she was annoyed with Junior’s crying too. After she saw Mejihen, she decided otherwise and turned back to her room. Not before saying something that made Mejihen give up and go to his own room. “Junior is just a small child,” she said. “He’s millions of miles from his mom and is scared. Good old dad isn’t here to help him either. Junior is just accepting the fact that he won’t see his mom or dad for a long time.”

Bra’s words rang in Mejihen’s mind. ‘I won’t ever see my family too.’ he thought.

Mejihen eyed the control panel. It didn’t help that all the buttons were labeled in a different language. It probably wouldn’t help them any if he pressed a button to see what it would do. It would probably make the situation worse than it was; not that it could get any worse. He shook his head and walked towards his room. Mejihen started recalling all the previous day's events.

*****

Mejihen and Junior admired the stars after take off. The stars were a stunning sight; twinkling in the night sky. Both boys were so immersed in the site they didn’t notice Bra doing something at the control panel. Her eyes were fogged over and she was furiously pressing the buttons. Mejihen finally turned to her when she was through. He saw her raise her hand above her head and curl it into a fist. By the time Mejihen realized what she was going to do, she smashed her fist into the panel. It cut through the metal and some buttons flew off. Junior turned around and watched Bra scared.

Bra wasn’t through yet. She pulled her hand out, taking some wires out of the control panel. She turned to Mejihen and Junior with an insane clouded look. Junior couldn’t move but Mejihen did. He had seen this before, a long time ago. The stone Mejihen wore around his neck started burning his skin. He took it off as fast as he could and held it up in the air. Unfortunately, Bra seemed to know his plans. She ran to him and seized his throat. Mejihen couldn’t breathe but still held the stone. It was burning his hand now, begging to be used. He forced the stone on Bra’s hand, the one that was holding onto his throat. A scream pierced the air as she leapt back and held her hand close to herself. Mejihen glanced at the hand and saw the burn mark on it. It only confirmed his suspicions. Before she could react he held the stone in the air and shouted the same incantation his mother used when he was younger. “Adee-abratna-deemon!”

Bra stopped and seemed to freeze for a second. That second seemed like an eternity to him, hoping that he said the right incantation. Just then, without warning, Bra looked up and screamed. The shrill scream was so loud that Mejihen wanted to cover his ears so bad but couldn’t. He had to hold the fiery blue stone in his hands, hoping that the possessed Bra will revert back to normal.

Just when he didn’t think that he could hold the stone any longer, Bra seemed to be splitting into two different beings. Mejihen looked closer and saw that the other was just a shadow and the other one was the real one. The real Bra fell to her knees but still remained conscious. The shadow Bra screamed a silent scream. Out of nowhere, the shadow looked at Mejihen. She looked at him pleadingly with her red eyes. After she realized that Mejihen was going to be of no help, a smile crept onto her shadowed face before fading out.

Mejihen fell to his knees breathing deeply. The stone still pulsed with energy but the burning feeling was replaced with a calm warm feeling. He looked up to see Bra staring back at him.

“How?” She said, then looked at the control panel. Shocked at the sight, she ran to the controls, desperately trying to fix it to no avail. After realizing there was no way to fix it, her hands curled to fists and she slowly turned to Mejihen. “You did this.” She stated. Mejihen opened his mouth to protest but no words came out. “You did this,” she continued. “This wouldn’t have happened if you hadn’t come to our planet.” She finished before turning her heel and walked out.

Mejihen didn’t move from his spot for a few moments then stood up and walk to the now completely destroyed control panel. He stared at it for a while. There was one small red button still intact and it was blinking. ‘Probably because of what happened.’ Mejihen thought and dismissed it.

It was just then that Mejihen noticed that Junior wasn’t around. He must have run away because he was scared of what was going to happen. Mejihen tore himself away from the control panel and went in search of Junior. He walked the hallways of the ship until he heard sobbing. The crying was muffled, like Junior was letting out all his miseries into a pillow. Mejihen walked through the halls to hear the crying get louder. He stopped in front of a locked door. The crying seemed to come from behind the door. There weren’t any doorknobs that Mejihen could use so he knocked on the door.

“Go away!” Junior shouted.

Mejihen stood opened mouth. ‘Well he is a little kid, right?’ Mejihen thought, “He probably needs time to get over what he saw.”

Mejihen walked away from the door, glancing one more time before walking the ship, thinking. There wasn’t much that he could do on the ship. This was Bra’s ship; she should be able to fix it. He couldn’t understand all the buttons or written instructions anyway. He walked past Bra in the halls of the ship. Glancing up, he wished he hadn’t. She glared death at him. Mejihen tried to walk past her as carefully as possible, trying not to provoke her. He still felt her stare on the back of his neck when he was a good distance from her. Thankfully, he turned a corner and didn’t have to deal with her for that moment. Now, he had to think if there was anything that could be done. His days on this ship were going to be bad ones, he figured. No one is going to be of any help for a while, he sighed.

*****

Mejihen closed the door to his room. He leaned on it and closed his eyes. Silence filled the air. Junior must have fallen asleep again, Mejihen mused. He wondered how his people were at the moment. Or better yet, where Pan was or how all her family back on Earth was.

*****

Back in the room where all the crying stopped, Junior got up from his bed. He felt foolish that he was upset for this long. Unfortunately, he had to keep this up a little longer. Long enough to fool everyone. Junior walked up to his looking glass. The image of a little boy, with tear strained eyes stared back at him. His looked at his eyes and ignored the fact that they flashed red. All he thought was how to get revenge for his shadow sister.